Sunday 30 November 2008

Understanding Google site "authority" : Jonathan Leger

Understanding Google site "authority"November 29, 2008Somebody recently made a post on the WebComp Analyst forum asking, basically, the following question: I have more links than my competition, but I'm not on page one — why not? That's a good question, and one that I felt deserved some attention in a blog post.In a recent blog post I show exactly how I do keyword research, and I spoke about how Google transfers "authority" from the home page to the inner pages of sites. That's why you'll often find a page ranking for a really competitive set of keywords even though it has very few links to the page itself: if the site itself is very well linked, then the inner page benefits from the "link juice" of the whole site.However, in the video I state that it's the links to the home page of the site that give the inner pages authority. I have to adjust my stand on that. After doing a lot of deep research using WebComp Analyst, I've realized that it's the entire site's links that create authority, not just the home page links. 
Understanding Google site "authority" : Jonathan Leger
Blogged with the Flock Browser